- Date: 28 March 16:00 - 18:00
- Location: Nieuwspoort
Movies that Matter and Nieuwspoort are jointly organizing a special screening of the documentary Hostage Takers (Puk Damsgaard, Søren Klovborg) on Tuesday, March 28 at 16:00 in Nieuwspoort.
After the film (English subtitles) moderator Remco Meijer (de Volkskrant) will enter into a conversation with Thomas Bruning (NVJ), Jantine van Herwijnen and Evelien Wijkstra (Free Press Unlimited).
About the film
As English journalist Sean Langan takes his seat for his interviews with IS members Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh, the room is charged with tension. The two were responsible for guarding, torturing and ultimately assisting in the gruesome - and livestreamed - execution of Langan's friend James Foley. Langan, who himself was a Taliban hostage, tracked them down while in captivity with Kurdish forces in Syria. He sincerely tries to understand them, but by no means holds back - leading to breathtaking moments.
Danish photographer Daniel Rye was part of the group of hostages that included Foley, but was released after negotiations. Underneath his calm testimony is incredible strength and emotion. The man who negotiated with IS on behalf of the family provides a blood-curdling reconstruction of the steps that led to Rye's release. A penetrating - and eerie - look into the mind of hardened terrorists.
- If you want to be there, you must purchase a ticket through the Movies that matter site and also follow the registration procedure for admission to Nieuwspoort in the Lower House building.
- If you want to have a bite to eat afterwards in Nieuwspoort, you can order the Chef's special at 15,50 via the green button Tickets on this page. (The Chef's special is Koe Loe Kai, Pandan rice, paprika pineapple, sweet and sour chicken or vegetarian version Koe Loe Tempeh Pandan rice, paprika pineapple, sweet and sour tempeh.
- We recommend being on time, around 3:30 pm.
- The film is subtitled in English.
Bezuidenhoutseweg 67, Den Haag
2594 AC Den Haag Sign Up