How to support South Sudan to go from emergency to development
- Date: 16 January 19:00 - 20:30
- Location: Speakers Corner of De Haagse Hogeshool
Come to The Hague University of Applied Sciences on January 16th for an engaging discussion on development cooperation, working in a fragile context, and feminist leadership in South Sudan.
Since its independence in 2011, South Sudan has been challenged by conflict, instability, and natural disasters. It is an often-forgotten crisis, while the population’s challenges are among the most severe in the world. Among others, South Sudan is the source of Africa’s largest refugee crisis, and 75% of its population is in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. At the same time, it possesses massive oil reserves, has vast untouched nature and wildlife, and its young population is hoping for change and development.
In this HagueTalks event, three female speakers will share their personal and professional stories about their life and work in South Sudan. They will speak about challenges and opportunities in South Sudan and their hopes and expectations for its future. After their keynotes, there will be a 60-minute Q&A on development cooperation, working in a fragile context, and feminist leadership.
About the Speakers
- Sara Beysolow Nyanti – An incredibly passionate about and true expert on South Sudan complexities and African female leadership. Sara has taken on the most senior UN role in South Sudan;
- Grace Aguil Garang – A young, South Sudanese female entrepreneur and changemaker in her society;
- Marjan Schippers – Schippers is the Dutch ambassador to South Sudan, a promoter of feminist diplomacy avant la lettre.
The event is co-organised by the HagueTalks, The Hague University of Applied Sciences, and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs . The event will take place at the Speakers Corner of The Hague University of Applied Sciences, but can also be followed online on the HagueTalks’ YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/haguetalks from 19:00 to 20:30 GMT + 2 (The Hague).
For more information and to register, click here.
Speakers Corner of De Haagse Hogeshool
Johanna Westerdijkplein 75
2521 EN Den Haag Sign Up