One year of war in Ukraine: where do we stand now?
- Date: 23 February 17:00 - 19:00
- Location: Universiteit Leiden Campus Den Haag: Wijnhaven. Zaal 2.0
On Thursday, Feb. 23, the Atlantic Association, in cooperation with Netherlands Atlantic Youth, Leiden University and KVBK, is organizing a meeting on the war in Ukraine, the future of European security, and the role of the Netherlands.
With the Russian invasion of Ukraine on the night of Feb. 23-24, 2022, war returned to the European continent. One year later, on February 23, 2023, the Netherlands Atlantic Association will travel through the new geopolitical landscape together with leading politicians, policymakers, experts, and students. Defense Minister Kajsa Ollongren will open the meeting, followed by a panel discussion including:
- Hubert Smeets (Window on Russia)
- Colonel Han Bouwmeester (Ministry of Defense/NLDA)
- Willemijn Aerdts (Leiden University)
- Bob Deen (Clingendael)
- Moderator: Sophie Derkzen (VPRO)
Through the metaphorical train journey, the discussion will consider the events and shifts of the past period. How has our security environment changed from a year ago? What stage has the conflict reached and where is it moving? Why should we care? Audience members will meet their travelling companions — within NATO, the EU and beyond. To reflect on the important decisions of the coming months, they disembark at way stations; in Kiev, Washington, Brussels and Vilnius, leading up to the next NATO summit on July 11 and 12. The Netherlands, too, will have to choose a course of action. How do we support Ukraine also in the future? What is needed for that? And what responsibilities is the Netherlands willing and able to take on?
This meeting takes place in Wijnhaven The Hague from 17.00-19.00 and is organized in cooperation with Leiden University.
This event will take place in Dutch.
The program will consist of the following parts:
- 16.30 Welcome and registration.
- 17:00 Welcome by the Chairman of the Board of the Netherlands Atlantic Association Lokke Moerel or Director Anna van Zoest
- 17:15 Keynote address by Defense Minister Kajsa Ollongren followed by a video message by Ukrainian Defense Minister Aleksi Reznikov
- 17:45 Panel discussion
- 18.30/40 Discussion and question round with the speakers and the audience
- 19.00 Reception in the foyer
- 20.00 End
For more information, and to reserve tickets, click here.
Universiteit Leiden Campus Den Haag: Wijnhaven. Zaal 2.0
2511 DP The Hague Sign Up